Friday, June 20, 2008

Our Country is Falling Apart

Every now and then I turn on the Today Show in the mornings, usually when I'm awake but not ready to get up. This morning I'm reminded why I'm not a regular viewer of the Today Show or any other shows like it.

Our country, and the world, is falling apart. Gas prices are soaring. People are driving less because, according to the reporter, of the high price of fuel. Here in Columbus, gas went from $3.85 at most stations to $4.09 yesterday. According to the report, there are 2% fewer cars on the road today than a year ago. More people are car pooling and taking public transportation because they can no longer afford to fill their gas tanks. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about this shift, I just wish there were more public transportation options available to more people. I have no options but to drive to school. Between the increase in gas and the decrease in financial aid I'm not sure how much longer I can afford to go to school. I certainly can't be the only one dealing with this.

The climate is changing more dramatically and faster then ever before. The southwest part of the country can expect the drought they are experiencing to continue with no end in sight. The midwest can expect to see torrential downpours and major flooding more often with only 8 years between major flooding events rather than every 20 years. The average highs are only projected to get hotter.

There is a high school that had a huge surge in teen pregnancies with 17 sophomore girls expecting. When a reporter from Time magazine went to the high school to investigate she discovered these weren't unplanned pregnancies. These girls made a pact with each other to get pregnant and to raise their babies together. I feel so sad for these girls. Even more, I feel so sad for their babies.

Not only are food prices rising, the amount of food in prepackaged boxes is decreasing. Yet another hit to the family budget.

After listening to all of these stories I have noticed something missing from all of the reports. What we can do to make a difference. They may causally mention what some people are doing. In the gas price story they showed two women who have starting car pooling. But they didn''t offer any real solutions. No wonder depression rates are so high. If you watch any of these morning shows you're being told things are getting worse and worse and offered no solutions. This makes it look like there is no hope, we're doomed and there's nothing anyone can do about it. I refuse to believe this. I know there has to be more that I can do...I just have to spend hours of my time (that I don't really have) to research what those things are. Gee, that sort of seems like the job of a reporter.

No comments: